(L.A.) Keenan Anderson, 31, Died in a Hospital

Case Number: 2023-00126

Los Angeles County is reporting the death of a 31-year-old Black male that occurred in a hospital.

The coroner’s office has identified the man as Keenan Anderson.

Manner of Death: Undetermined

Cause of Death: Effects of Cardiomyopathy and Cocaine (Death Determined Hours After Restraint and Conducted Energy Device Use)

RIP KEENAN DARNELL ANDERSON (May 16, 1991 – January 3, 2023)

Undetermined manner of death indicates that the medical examiner could not decide whether it was natural, suicide, homicide or an accident (overdose).

Formal pronouncement of death was made on Tuesday at 8:15 p.m.

The decedent was described in the media as an English teacher.

LAPD officers tased and tackled him after a car crash, causing him to suffer fatal cardiac arrest.

Anderson died at the hospital while in police custody.

LAPD has killed more than 170 people since 2013.

Pacific Area ICD 1/3/2023 (NRF002-23)


On January 3, 2023, at around 3:38 p.m., a West Traffic Division motor officer was flagged down for a traffic collision in the area of Venice Boulevard and Lincoln Boulevard in Pacific Area. He observed a male, later identified as Keenan Anderson, running in the middle of the street and exhibiting erratic behavior. Several citizens involved in the traffic collision motioned to Anderson, indicating that he caused the accident. The officer contacted Anderson, verbalized with him, and requested additional units for a DUI investigation. Anderson initially followed the officer’s commands and sat at the northeast corner of Venice and Lincoln Boulevard for several minutes as the officer spoke with him.

As additional units arrived at scene, Anderson suddenly attempted to flee the location. Officers gave chase as Anderson ran eastbound in the middle of the street on Venice Boulevard. As officers contacted Anderson, he began to resist, resulting in a use of force. Officers struggled with Anderson for several minutes, utilizing a TASER, bodyweight, firm grips, and joint locks to overcome his resistance.

Anderson was subsequently handcuffed and hobbled at the ankles. Shortly after Anderson was taken into custody, Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) personnel responded to the scene and rendered medical aid for deployment of the TASER. Anderson was transported via a rescue ambulance (RA) to a local hospital in the City of Santa Monica. While at the hospital, Anderson went into cardiac arrest and was pronounced deceased.

One officer received minor abrasions to his hands during the use of force.

Detectives from Force Investigation Division responded to the scene and are investigating this incident.