Conor McGregor Returns January 2020 To Fight Cowboy Cerrone at UFC 246
ESPN is reporting that MMA superstar Conor McGregor will be returning to the octagon on Jan. 18 for a fight against Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone to headline UFC 246 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
According to Dana White, McGregor vs. Cowboy is a go for UFC 246 on Jan. 18. Additionally, sources tell me Cowboy has agreed to a new multi-fight deal with the UFC. Full story here. https://t.co/xeaNJ6wMcS
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) November 28, 2019
UFC president Dana White revealed that the non-title welterweight bout between McGregor and Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone will likely headline UFC 246 on Jan. 18 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. McGregor has signed his contract to compete on the date, White told ESPN.
Cerrone’s representatives say he has agreed to the bout and signed a new exclusive deal with the UFC.
“Conor has signed and Cowboy is ready to go,” White told ESPN.
The bout will mark McGregor’s third appearance at 170 pounds in the UFC. He fought Nate Diaz at welterweight twice in 2016, losing via submission before evening the series with a majority decision. McGregor’s representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
McGregor (21-4) has not fought since he was submitted in the fourth round of a lightweight title fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018. The Dublin native hasn’t won in the UFC since he knocked out Eddie Alvarez in November 2016 to win his second title.
A former 145- and 155-pound champion, McGregor, 31, has just the one UFC appearance in the past three years. Recently, he pleaded guilty to punching a man in a bar in April, and was ordered to pay a fine. Last month, The New York Times reported McGregor is under investigation in Ireland for two separate sexual assault allegations. No charges have been filed.
Cerrone (36-13) holds the UFC record for most wins and finishes in company history, with 23 and 16 respectively. He is a former lightweight title challenger, but fought exclusively at welterweight from 2016 to 2019. He is coming off a knockout loss to Justin Gaethje in September.